Recently a friend called to say she had received 6000 emails in 6 hours and most of it was spam. She was getting very frustrated because of the time wasted deleting the spam.
Have you ever experienced the same frustration?
Of course…me too!
Well, here is one highly effective method how to stop spam email using SpamAssassin
1. SpamAssassin software (usually included with your hosting account)
SpamAssassin itself will not delete any emails. It’s only a filter which reads email in, and passes that same email out, modified in
some way. If you want to delete emails, or redirect emails, you need to set up rules in your email software to automatically filter out the email that SpamAssassin has labeled as spam.
2. Web Host that has SpamAssassin installed on the server.
3. Access to your web host ie user name and password for login.
Steps to configure SpamAssassin
These steps will filter the spam at the server level.
1. Login to your web host (access the cpanel with user name and password)
2. Email Management Tools
3. Click on SpamAssassin
4. Enable SpamAssassin
5. Configure SpamAssassin
6. Set “required_score” to 5 (this is the default setting)
7. For “rewrite_header subject” type “Spam Assassin Spam Header” in the box.
(this is for the text added to the Subject: line of mails that are considered spam)
8. In “whitelist_from” type any addresses that may get labeled as spam.
9. Click “save” to save your settings.
Steps to configure Outlook Express
These steps will automatically delete the email that has been filtered by SpamAssassin
1. At the top of Outlook Express go to tools – message rules – mail – new mail rule
2. For Rule 1. check the box “where the subject line contains specific words”
3. For Rule 2. check the box “delete it”
4. For Rule 3. click on the link called “specific words” in this sentence:
5. A window will pop up called “Type Specific Words”
6. Type “Spam Assassin Spam Header”
7. Click Add-Ok
8. Name the New Rule ie “New Mail Rule #1″
9. Click Ok.
Now all your email will be filtered by SpamAssassin.
Any email identified as spam will be labeled “Spam Assassin Spam Header” in the subject line and automatically deleted by Outlook Express.
This will reduce most of the spam you receive to a small trickle.
If you still get too much email spam then just increase the “required_score” in SpamAssassin.