Before building your CMS web site you should think about your site’s purpose, what you wish to accomplish with it, what features you need, the time it will take to build and what price you are willing to pay for its development.
An Open Source Content Management System may be sufficient for your personal or business needs if you intend to publish lots of
content, have multiple contributors, want to build a community around a particular topic and users are non-technical i.e. they don’t need to know HTML or how to FTP pages to the server. You can either build it yourself or get a web designer who is familiar with content management systems to build it for you.
Here is a feature comparison for 3 types of Open Source Content Management Systems:
Joomla CMS Features
Joomla is a full-featured content management system that can be used for everything from simple websites to complex corporate
* Completely database-driven site engines
* Powerful WYSIWYG Editor enables creation and editing of pages without need to know code.
* Manage content from a Web browser (Internet Explorer or Firefox recommended).
* Manage Images from within system, or externally through FTP.
* No specialized tools or programming languages needed to update site.
* Preview content as you work, without publishing.
* Bundled with site search.
* Syndicate site contents in a variety of RSS formats.
* No specialized programming language needed to build or customize templates.
* Flexible templating allows for creation of variety of looks — no “cookie cutter” websites.
* Can build Valid XHTML and Section 508 Accessible websites.
* Edit CSS and templates from within admin system.
* Large number of free or low cost templates available through the community.
* Supports Membership option for websites.
* Supports classes of users.
* Block problem users.
* Mass mail users.
* Classes of users for content creation, editing, scheduling and publishing.
* Schedule automatic Start/Stop dates for publishing.
* Supports multiple administrators with variety of tools.
* Bundled with many common functionalities.
* Large selection of add-ons to extend functionality.
* Bridges to many 3rd Party systems.
Help & Documentation
* Online Help files in dedicated Documentation site.
* Online Forums provide rapid support from the Community.
* Written in PHP.
* Scalable. Tested and benchmarked.
* Effective, configurable caching.
* Platform neutral. Simple requirements which allow installation on most hosting packages, including shared hosting.
* Installation wizard is simple and fast.
* Flexible metadata at both global and individual Item levels.
* Search Engine Friendly.
* Over 30 languages supported.
* Free, Open Source Software.
* Released under the GNU General Public License (GPL)
* Active community.
* Dedicated Forum